Thursday, December 16, 2010

Proud Choir Nerd

Jason and I LOVE The Sing Off. We wish the series would last longer than 3 weeks.

As I listen and watch these talented a cappella groups sing, I am reminded of my favorite choral moments:

*Performing with the 1998 Marshall High School chorale, "And So It Goes"
My heart swoons for Billy Joel's writing and voice. To hear and perform all the intricate parts a cappella, this soon became one of my favorite songs.

"So I would choose to be with you
As if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break"

*2000 Texas Girls All State Choir singing, "There Is No Rose Of Such Virtue"
A female choral moment of perfection. I was in awe and sat motionless as tears poured from my eyes. 

"There is no rose of such virtue
As is the rose that bare Jesu;
Alleluia."

*Performing with the 2000 Texas Mixed All State Choir, "Chichester Psalms"
Leonard Bernstein is a genius. The writer of West Side Story composed this Hebrew choral work from Psalms 108, 100, 23, 2, 131, 133. My choir teacher helped us translate some of the passages. As I practiced I would see these truths across the top of my page, 

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness."

"Surely goodness and mercy
Shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever."

*My entire experience with the Ouachita Singers from 2001 through 2003
I cannot pin point one ultimate moment. I heard overtones for the first time in this choir. My range was stretched (I sang alto 2!) Our choral director, Dr. Charlie Fuller knew how to make a group of singers blend so well. We traveled to China my sophomore year and I had some health issues while we were there. I had to sit out on one of our performances so I got to watch and hear this talented group from the audience. I cried the entire time and appreciated the opportunity to be a part of such a special group.

If you have been a part of a choir or appreciate choral groups, what is your favorite moment or performance?


No comments:

Post a Comment