Monday, November 8, 2010

Girls Night!

Last month I started my first Girls Night with the female music team volunteers at Cross Point. This is a time where we can encourage and spend quality time with one another. It is also a place where we can dialog about where the music ministry is headed and how we can confidently lead people to WANT to worship a God who loves them.

This gathering began out of my journey of living many years in a state of discouragement. I have always battled insecurities, especially in the area of my gifts and abilities. Even if I succeeded at some things musically, I held on to every "No" I received and replayed those failures in my head. When I moved to Nashville, I felt as though I could never measure up. When I auditioned for the music team in the spring of 2006 I was asked to serve in KidStuff and Charge. I served on the Sunday worship team only a handful of times and always compared myself to everyone on the team and beat myself up if I missed a note. 

This attitude hindered my ability to lead. 

When I was asked to join the staff at Cross Point in the Spring of 2007, I can remember putting the music schedule together, wishing I could sing a special or lead a song. I was serving in KidStuff weekly and Charge a couple of times a month but that wasn't good enough for me. 

My heart was discouraged. 

The turning point came when Jarrod explained the audition process before we hosted our first audition together. He said that every ministry on the music team is important and people should serve with open, willing hearts. 

SLAP IN THE FACE! 

I was leading this team and had the wrong motivation and attitude. I started to change my mindset. Jenni would hold me accountable and praise me when she saw growth. I realized that no matter where God has me I need to serve with my whole heart. God began to open doors for me to grow and learn. The chains are slowly breaking so I can lead people to experience HIM! My heart is now open, vulnerable and awakened. I am so proud of our team of vocalists for serving in (formerly) KidStuff, FX, Sunday worship, Choir and Charge. And for not just doing that at ONE campus but MANY!

As I shared my story with the girls on our team, I could see their guards go down. Many of them felt the same way I did. This has become an unspeakable struggle. 

We do the following things:
-Suck it up and bury our feelings 
-Try harder until we . . .
-Quit trying 
-Resist honest feedback and growth
-Get jealous
-Become critical
-Wish we sounded like ______
 

What Girls Night looks like:

*The foundation of our time together is Galatians 6:4-5 
"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life." 

*We each have a girl on the team to encourage and pray for.

*We will send encouraging notes to other music teams in the Nashville area and beyond!

*We are studying the Bible together using the Life Journal plan. We can't grow as worship leaders if we aren't growing spiritually!

*We will discuss ways to prepare when we are leading.

*We will learn about the foundation and intention of worship through song and how we can lead to the best of our ability.

Tonight is our 2nd Girls Night and I am so excited to see God continue to tear down walls in this group of talented volunteers. 

Thanks for your prayers and support!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl! I hope I can make it to some of these :) My small group meets on Monday nights as well, but perhaps I can alternate...? I'll figure out something. What a fantastic idea for a blog/group! Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete